Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Kodiak in the news


This piece by Anchorage Daily News columnist Julia O'Malley takes me right back...

Update: The Kodiak Audubon Society's monthly newsletter, Birds About Town, reports that a Storm-Petrel blew into town during the storm mentioned in Julia's column. Storm-Petrels, though not the most colorful birds in the north Pacific, live quite an interesting life. Mating for life, spending almost their entire adult life at sea, and producing only single-egg clutches, Storm-Petrels can live to be over 30 years old - ancient for a bird their size (between a robin and a crow). Perhaps the other Storm-Petrel spotted by our friend Patrick on a boat near Afognak Island is the mate of the bird pictured here, found in Kodiak.

Oceanodroma furcata

1 comment:

Zoya said...

megan and Bruce - I liked the story. Also you emailed me at work and then our internet died so I was never able to reply. I don't seem to have your email afddress here at home either. Anyway, could you make the goat hunt with my brother between the 11th thru 18th of October? Patrick