Sunday, September 6, 2009

farmer's market feeding frenzy








Yesterday Bruce, Rebel and I walked over to a local farmer's market. We were in a bit of a hurry because our landlady told us that the market was mobbed with people. Once we arrived, though, I realized that the crowding and the size of the market itself were of a very different scale than the markets in Wisconsin, particularly the weekly Madison market on the square (where I was recently a corn vendor). At the Madison market I have often felt like I am in the middle of combat, fighting for my cheese curds and straw flowers.
We bought broccoli, beets, carrots, potatoes, peas and flowers. The boys strolled around meeting fellow fair-goers while I elbowed my way into the veggie bins. The produce was gorgeous, gigantic and immaculate...and expensive. I had shelled out $40 before I knew it; but Bruce reminded me that we were paying for less health care down the road. My favorite purchase, a bag of peas the size of my head (which is large, as Bruce likes to remind me).
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful veggies! Neil and I have become "locavores" and have eaten produce grown a mile away from our table all summer by a truly dedicated local farmer who grows wonderful veggies in backyards, frontyards and church property. Last night we enjoyed a ratatoulie (sp?) in which every ingredient, from the eggplant to the garlic, was grown locally, and the parsley and basil came from containers our patio. I've discovered that local garlic has an amazing taste and makes every dish fantastic; I've included some for you in a care package arriving next week. Enjoy!