Monday, July 6, 2009

Shelley's Second Encounter of the Alaskan Kind...(Guest Post)

One of many highlights of the trip: throwing bottles off a friend's backyard cliff. Kodiak no longer recycles glass, so rather than sending it off to the landfill, we threw it off the cliff and created beach glass. This is legal. I'm sure of it.











July 4th, 2009: One of the best Independence Days EVER. Our friend, Jeff, hooked us up with a small swarm of sea kayaks and we spent the day kayaking around little islands. We saw seals and birds and assorted sea things...much bull kelp. We also stopped at several islands for some Mount Rainier Beer...a new product for me.

At one point, Bruce saw me resting on a mound of mussels and noted that he "doesn't usually sit right on top of the mussels because he doesn't want to crush them"...seemingly implying that while I was sunbathing, I was, at the same time, crushing sea creatures. I spent the rest of the trip walking a fine line between exploring things and killing them..

Doing a little rock skipping at one of our stops sea kayaking. Generally, I found people from Kodiak were not impressed by my throwing technique. There was teasing. I felt shame.


Meghan, Zoya, and I took a hike up to the new wind turbines overlooking Kodiak. Pretty amazing up close...very Alice in Wonderland-esque...












Had an amazing time in Kodiak, gorgeous weather, and fantastic seafood. So glad I came back for the summer...thank you to my friends, Meghan, Bruce, and the wiener...





















I don't know who this is. She looks dangerous though.

No comments: