Thursday, July 30, 2009

Leaving Kodiak

Bye Bye Wilcos, See You Soon

Meghan and I are receiving many well wishes on the move to the mainland. The night before I left on the ferry the Wilcos threw an impromptu going away party featuring fresh salmon that Boppa Wilco caught, ironically enough, while he was in Anchorage last weekend picking up the family's new surf wagon. Momma Wilco, Paxson and Stokely baked a ferry cake.

Looks just like a ferry doesn't it? ("Boos" is Paxsonspeak for "Bruce")


Have Wiener, Will Travel

The next day I filled up the car with our remaining belongings and our friend Alicia helped distract Meghan from the stresses of moving by taking a long walk with her and the dogs. We then headed to town for sushi before I drove onto the ferry. As the Tustumena steamed out of the harbor I tried to call the memories of our first glimpses of Kodiak to mind and began to appreciate all that I have learned and experienced while on the Island. One things for sure, we are going to miss our Island friends.

Waiting to board the M/V Tustumena

1 comment:

Team Wilco said...

Bye Bye Boos! We will miss you!

Team Wilco