Sunday, June 28, 2009

local-vores and summer scenes

a bumblebee at work in the tree by the front stairs

Rebel fishing for some of Bruce's lunch

Since my return from Dig Afognak, I have been trying to prepare and eat more of our local Kodiak flora. On Thursday I picked some fiddleheads from the yard, which I sauteed with butter, olive oil, garlic, shallots, tomatoes and white wine. I served them over pasta, and Bruce didn't complain.



Yesterday, before I started helping Bruce with the housepainting, I harvested some of our ripe rhubarb. As I write, a rhubarb-raspberry dish is baking in the oven.



While I was out of town, Bruce replanted the greenhouse. Much to our dismay the first crop bolted earlier in the summer.


This harvest is coming along nicely...we hope to taste some of it before we leave town!

1 comment:

mom said...

I can't believe those beautiful yellow flowers! they look gigantic. did the fiddle heads taste like chicken? Domestic Bliss...