Monday, January 11, 2010

I was reminded that it is January in Alaska.

Windy walk to work this morning. I can’t get out of bed very promptly these days. I want to wait for the sun, usually ignoring my alarm.
I wore my heavy new boots – silly looking things that slow my steps.

My face was covered with a fleece scarf, my giant mittens made my hands into seal flippers, barely able to grasp my coffee mug.
I knew the coffee would be cold by the time I got into the office.

I thought the wind was going to blow me down. I leaned into it. Gravel and ice chips battered my face, making my eyes fill with tears. I was afraid that the street signs would break free

And hit me.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Beautiful. Love the poetic nature to this post.

Unknown said...

Get over it!! Drive a snow machine trasfering your goods and equipment at -37 below!!! BUt... the sun was out :)
-Hal