Sunday, November 22, 2009

Winter Air Travel


Touching down in Old Harbor, AK

It's getting to be that time of year again, the Holidays arrive and so does the inclement weather. Although I was able to get in and out of Kodiak on schedule, Meghan and I have Thanksgiving and Christmas travel plans that take us through several different airports - Seattle, Denver and Chicago - where delays and cancellations are frequent. Back in Kodiak, I used to pack a sleeping bag, extra clothes and food in case of weather delays when traveling to the Island's remote villages. Part of me is glad that my commute to work is a bit more predictable (though coming across ornery moose is often a possibility here in Anchorage). On the other hand, the adventure of flying over remote Alaskan wilderness and landing in a landscape with different features and customs was quite exhilarating. I was always thankful when our pilot brought us safely to our destination, no matter how marginal the conditions. To me, the bush pilots in Alaska are heroes on par with firefighters and other rescue personnel who remain calm and professional in the face of sheer despair. Disagree? Read this account of a pilot flying out of Bethel who's engine quit mid-flight featured in Friday's Anchorage Daily News.

1 comment:

Mary said...

That will be quite a story for those baby girls when they're old enough to understand!