Saturday, October 31, 2009

Prospect Heights stroll



Due to my all-consuming fear of getting lost, I have limited our hikes around Anchorage to the well-defined trails, somewhat to Bruce's frustration. Last weekend we walked out from the Prospect Heights trailhead. As they say, Anchorage truly is only 20 minutes from Alaska. I am always amazed by the fact that we can take a quick drive and be in the Chugach State Park. The park feels vast and wild, even with everyone and their neighbor populating the trails.

I don't think that any place will ever really feel too crowded after several years of exploring Colorado's Front Range wilderness. I remember how the 3 hour commute back into the city after a long weekend used to destroy any sense of relaxation or escape that our backcountry trip had managed to generate in my busy mind. After our hike last Saturday, we drove home to Los Anchorage admiring the glowing Alaska Range on the horizon, while Denali floated above the downtown skyline.

No comments: