Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Alaska Hunter (almost)

Meghan really liked the ptarmigan patch awarded to each participant

Last Spring Meghan's mom and dad dropped off a 12 gauge and a rifle during their visit to Kodiak. Meghan's family harvests about five deer each Fall from their wooded and hilly 90 acres in southwest Wisconsin. Sometimes Meghan's Mom is known to "bring home the venison" when the boys come back empty-handed. So, eager to provide Meghan a healthy alternative to the increasingly synthetic proteins found in supermarkets (aka chicken and beef), I completed an Alaska hunter safety course on Saturday. Provided by the state's Department of Fish and Game and delivered by an all-volunteer crew, the course was a great introduction to Alaskan hunting. For instance Bob, one of the instructors who sits on the much maligned (depending on which side of the fence you're on) Alaska Big Game Board, shared years of helpful know-how on the state's rules and regulations.

Looks like I'll be asking for some cammo this Christmas

During the course we handled several different firearms including an old Winchester lever action rifle (as seen in True Grit). We then walked a field course to identify several different species of game and discussed whether it was safe, and legal to take a shot. After a short "written" (50 multiple choice questions) exam, we picked up rifles and took the marksmanship qualification exam at the range. From three positions, standing, kneeling and sitting we aimed to place four shots within a 4" target. I successfully completed the course and look forward to putting my new knowledge to use.

The "P" stands for Pass

3 comments:

Zoya said...

Camo is totally over-rated. My goal in life is to shoot a HUGE buck in a pink skin suit and give a photo of me posing with the buck to the local sport store for their big buck wall. I think I might have to go for world record class to get them to put it up - but wouldn't it be awesome?

Also - get over to Kodiak in November and we'll do the doe hunt thing by kayak. Patrick

Akensee4miles said...

Alright Patrick. I'll look at my schedule and get back to you about a November mission. In the meantime, I'll look for a pink jumpsuit at the second hand stores here in LA.

Unknown said...

Nice intro to hunting, your blog is great, I'm a new comer, Nancy Kelly