Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ptarmigan Convert

Last night we joined the Saltonstalls and some of their lovely friends for dinner. We had a delicous meal and enjoyed great conversation. The entertainment for the evening was provided by CeCe, Nora and Stuart, stars of the Young Players Theater Company and Bruce was happy to get in on some of the action.


The dinner menu included ptarmigan, a bird that I had never eaten before. It was so tasty-many compliments to the chef!

I have seen ptarmigan on several occasions while hiking-the most memorable sighting took
place during the forced death march outside of Aspen, under the auspices of a hut trip. I remember feeling ready to collapse into the snow after climbing yet another mountain in my nordic skis, continuously breaking through the crust, when, suddenly, the snow screen lifted momentarily and a ptarmigan appeared. It was quite a vision, let me tell you, and I think the bird leant me its strength to finish the hike and to find the hut. The GPS that a friend was carrying didn't hurt, either.


My friend Shelley and I saw some ptarmigan on our climb up Pyramid last fall.


We were excited by our encounter with Kodiak's wildlife. On our hike back down the mountain, we ran into a man who was making his way up to do a little ptarmigan hunting-we suspected his hunt was successful. The circle of life...

1 comment:

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

I LOVE that Ptarmigan photo!! What a crisp, simple shot!