Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Anchorage Hop

In preparation for our move to Anchorage in August I have been applying for jobs like mad from Kodiak. Most of the positions have held telephone interviews with me. One employer, after conducting a telephone interview, decided to fly me over to Anchorage for a tour of their school and a second interview. I jumped at the chance for a "free ride" over to the mainland and packed my skis.

Halfway down the North Face looking into the Turnagain Arm

After the interview on Thursday I headed down to Alyeska Ski Resort on Friday. Clear and sunny, Alyeska offered pockets of soft snow, splendid views and no lift lines. Perhaps the best skiing was off the High Traverse and North Face - nice and steep. It will be nice to have a place to ski next year even when the avalanche conditions in the backcountry are hazardous.

A moose wanders through the parking lot of Ian and Sammy's building.

While in Anchorage I stayed with Ian - a friend whom I have known since middle school. Ian and his girlfriend Sammy are teachers who moved up to Alaska from Colorado a week before Meghan and me. We swapped "new to Alaska" stories, shared photos and dined at the Bear Tooth (Meghan's favorite).

Following Ian through Kincaid snow


Saturday: snow, lots of snow. Ian and I drove to Kincaid Park to nordic ski. Part of me wishes that I could have been at Alyeska shredding the 8" of new snow. Then again, I enjoyed the peaceful meditation of sliding through the woods on Kincaid Park's miles of nordic ski trails. Kincaid, the city's largest park, offers lit and groomed nordic ski trails surrounded by birch and spruce trees - Meghan will love it. Often a great place to spot moose, Ian and I only saw white on our 2.5 hour ski. Funny thing about Anchorage, sometimes the wild is right out your door.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

wow, Bruce, were you frightened by the giant moose? what will your little silly hund do next year while dwelling in prime moose habitat?

Akensee4miles said...

No, I was not frightened. My hund will surely bark.

Meghan said...

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2008/10/weiner-dogs-are-best.html