Sunday, June 19, 2011

First Half


The Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon and Half Marathon brought nearly 4,000 runners from 49 states and several friends from Kodiak to Anchorage's trails on Saturday. A slight breeze and mostly sunny skies made for excellent race day conditions at the start. While the picturesque course offering million dollar views of the Chugach Mountains and Cook Inlet made everyone a winner. I ran the half marathon course (my longest race distance to date) and Meg ran race support - meeting me at the finish with comfortable shoes and a dry shirt. During the race I was able to keep a steady pace and finish right at my goal. this was my first major individual race and it was really fun to be at the start with thousands of other folks pumped about running. To me it's evidence that humans are hard-wired to run in groups. For instance I've noticed that my times are much faster when running with someone else. Perhaps it's a vestige of our ancestral persistence hunting tactic: running = survival.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Super fast run time Brucie - you rock! My longest distance was the Crim - 10 miles up in Flint, Michigan. You are right - there is something wonderful about running in a pack.

Akensee4miles said...

Thanks Mary! It's nice to see your comments. We had a great time with your Mom and Dad on Friday - still as peppy as ever.

mom said...

Yea Bruce, the champ!!

I will race you next year, or as soon as I am in shape for it :)

I think all the Kelly's should run up there at midnight next year.

you can do just about anything you set your mind to

love you

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

Congrats, Bruce!! Loved reading about your race.
Zoya