Monday, February 22, 2010

Sven and Oly(mpics)

I probably left some drool on the bib after Sunday's very hilly 30 km race at Kincaid Park

As a tune up for the Tour of Anchorage I participated (competed would be less accurate) in the Sven Johanssen Race at Kincaid Park. The race offered two courses, a 10 km and a 30 km. Initially I planned to ski the 10 km course and get some racing experience, I then decided to enter the 30 km race and get a Medieval hill workout as well. After skiing about 25 km the day before I felt ready for some distance. Eric G., a friend and a racing veteran, agreed to provide the best wax for Sunday's race. Before turning on the iron we watched Olympic coverage of the men's 30 km pursuit in Whistler to get fired up. Perhaps as a nod to Sven, the namesake of the race here in Anchorage, two Swede's stunned everyone and captured a gold and a bronze amid 50 degree heat and a furious finish. During Sunday's race I was only hoping for a personal best - skiing a distance of 30 km. Racing was a blast (and exhausting) and definitely added an element of excitement to cross country skiing. Now, more than ever, I am looking forward to the Tour next month. Oh yeah, results from the Sven can be found here. Make sure you look for Eric G. near the top of the list.

A pair of Swedes, Johan Olsson and Marcus Hellner, sprint to the finish in Whistler during Saturday's 30 km race

2 comments:

Zoya said...

I raced in that race once and just now when I was thinking about it I realized it was 10 YEARS ago! Scary how the time flies - I do remember it was a tad hilly and that I did not know the hills. Some scary descents! Patrick

Akensee4miles said...

I sure wish I had ten years of experience on Sunday. The last 10k seemed to be all uphill. See you in Kincaid Stadium!